hard heads soft hearts

a scratch pad for half-formed thoughts by a liberal political junkie who's nobody special. ''Hard Heads, Soft Hearts'' is the title of a book by Princeton economist Alan Blinder, and tends to be a favorite motto of neoliberals, especially liberal economists.
mobile
email

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Friday, June 14, 2002
 
I've always thought one your finest pieces was "A
Country Is Not A Company", though it doesn't seem to
be very famous, perhaps because it seemed too abstract
and esoteric on first glance. (I actually think it
should be required reading for prospective undergrad
majors in economics.)

In any case, I think you could write a fascinating
column along those lines about the Green-Bloomberg
race, since a primary campaign issue was that someone
with a business background would be better for New
York than a "career politician" in these economically
troubled times.

BTW, I respect Green's career, though his one-note
stridency on police brutality in the Giuliani years
disturbed me. However, I think he ran a cynical,
surly, visionless campaign, and deserved to lose.
Hopefully, he'll come back in four years a wiser man.