hard heads soft hearts

a scratch pad for half-formed thoughts by a liberal political junkie who's nobody special. ''Hard Heads, Soft Hearts'' is the title of a book by Princeton economist Alan Blinder, and tends to be a favorite motto of neoliberals, especially liberal economists.
mobile
email

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Thursday, July 25, 2024
 

Little Talk

 

***

 

How Much Dull Routine Of Existence Does A Man Require?

My current answer:

 

To clarify: I only write down one of these routines, for myself, when I feel like I've been doing it wrong in some significant way, and feel like I need to make a change.

 

1. waking up

2. morning session

3. morning / midday break

4. midday / afternoon session

5. afternoon / evening break

6. evening session

7. winding down

8. falling asleep

 

 

in terms of session times (maybe):

 

variant 1: balanced

morning session: 7:30 - 11:30

midday / afternoon session: 1:30 - 5:30

 evening session: 7:30 - 11:30


variant 2: broad in the beam

morning session: 7:30 - 9:30

midday / afternoon session: 10:30 - 6:30

evening session: 7:30 - 9:30

 

variant 3: hourglass

morning session: 7:30 - 1:30

evening session: 5:30 - 11:30

 

variant 4: thank me no thankings, nor break me no breaks

morning session: 9:30 - 1:30

midday / afternoon session: 1:30 - 5:30

evening session: 5:30 - 9:30

 

variant 5: night owl

midday / afternoon session: 11:30 - 5:30

evening session: 7:30 - 1:30

 

variant 6: so owl it's lark

evening session: 7:30 pm - 7:30 am

 

variant 7: so lark it's owl

morning session: 1:30 am - 1:30 pm

 

variant 8: burnout Bernie

morning session: 7:30 am - 3:30 pm

evening session: 5:30 - 11:30

 

 

***

 

Big Talk

 

***

 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2024/07/24/remarks-by-president-biden-in-statement-to-the-american-people/

My favorite quote from Biden's speech:

We hold these truths to be self-evident:  We’re all created equal, endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights: life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness.
We’ve never fully lived up to it — to this sacred idea, but we’ve never walked away from it either.

 

 

I also liked this section, about having a real value for peace, while also being prepared for war:

I’m the first president in this century to report to the American people that the United States is not at war anywhere in the world. 
 
I will keep rallying a coalition of proud nations to stop Putin from taking over Ukraine and doing more damage.
 
I will keep NATO stronger . . .And I’ll keep doing the same for our allies in the Pacific.

 

And I’m going to keep working to end the war in Gaza, bring home all the hostages, and bring peace and security to the Middle East and end this war.
 
We’re also working around the clock to bring home Americans being unjustly detained all around the world.

 

 

***

 

Next post: January 29, 2025

 

 

 



Comments: Post a Comment